Saturday, June 5, 2010

Chocolate Che - June 5, 2010

In the Style of Vik Muniz - Chocolate Portrait of Che Guevara

Vik Muniz's paintings he did with chocolate syrup (and one he did of revolutionary Che Guevara using beans) inspired me to do a painting of Che using melted dark chocolate.  Steps I followed to make this chocolate Che were as follows:

1.) First I located an image of Alberto Korda's famous (cropped) photo of Che Guevara on the Web, to use as a visual reference to make a chocolate sketch. (Right)

2.) The pieces of chocolate I was using to draw a sketch kept melting in my hand. So, I tried pushing around the melted chocolate with my fingers, and quickly realized I needed something that would make finer lines. So, I switched to a small paintbrush and a toothpick.

3.) Once I completed a chocolate painting that looked somewhat like the original image, I took a digital photo of the painting; brought the image into iPhoto and desaturated it a little (to make it look more like Korda's photo); and posted it here (Below, Right).

Things I learned: The melted chocolate starts looking not so great after a few days. I'd kept the painting for a few days so I could keep working on parts I didn't like. But, his Che's chocolate beard started to look pretty scruffy. I can see why Muniz used chocolate syrup instead.

Postscript: 10 years later, I retrieved the original chocolate painted image. And it looked surprisingly good/intact.



No comments:

Post a Comment